Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Succuss hitting the pavement



John and I have been training on and off for a 5k for about a year. Two Thursdays ago we finished our training program and now are able to do a 5k. (flashback....)
Last fall John mentioned he thought it would be a good workout switch up to try this new program called the couch to 5k. I was like ha you are funny um no. John was like just look at the plan its not that hard. Finally I said if you help me find an amazing sports bra i'll try it. So a few weeks later we began. I sucked it up at first but loved how I slowly saw my body change and how I got better and strong as I ran. I did not love it (ok yes i did curse complain and whine a lot) but I needed something new to help me take off my extra lbs. Winter came and it was hard for us to keep going so we got stuck on "week 5" on and off. Spring came along with our new house and running took a back seat again. This June we got seriously serious about it. I started to like running. I love being outside and the more I ran the more I liked it...(flash to present). Were now I can run 3 miles at a time and not be out of breath afterwards. It is hard for me to believe me the person who had never before run more then about 1/4 mile can now (fairly) easy run 3 miles adding up to 9 miles a week. Woofa! Success!

I have talked about my running journey with lots of friends and coworkers (thanks for the support!) and have met my goal I once though unobtainable. My friend Kim has heard about my running and I told her if she ever wanted to start I'd run with her. Last Friday Kim said I want to do it! So we made a plan. I am doing my 3 regular miles with John Tues, Thur, Sun and starting the program fresh with Kim Mon, Wed, Fri. My newest running buddy! Tonight was our first night and Kim rocked it! I am proud of her for taking on the challenge as she has never been a runner before either. For me I gain a gradual increase in miles which is good for taking off more weight and helping my training. After running 3 miles daily and about 12-15 miles a week becomes easier and more of a second nature I am looking to tackle a few new goals. I would like to do a 10k and I would like to do a tri (the smaller sized one). But for right now I'm living in the present and enjoying my ability to run a 5k!

John and I are celebrating our success with our first 5k coming up in November. It couldn't be more fitting for us as its the State Fair 5k!   If you want to start running for what ever the reason and want to know more please shot me an email or leave a comment. Its not as hard as it seems and heck if I can do it I can help you do it to!


1 comment:

Nolan said...

Great success story! I could have done without the new bra part though. I know I usually celebrate an exercise accomplishment with a big 'ole bowl of ice cream! Mmmmmmmmmmmmice cream. Yeah, mice cream.