Friday, October 30, 2009

Cina-Beer French Toast

Sometimes in life you randomly discover really tasty things. Last Sunday I had one of these days. I had wanted some French toast for a few days and when I woke up before my husband Sunday it was a good time to surprise him with some fresh breakfast. My house is typically stocked for baking as I love to bake, especially bread. So I didn't think twice about having what I needed for ingredients. It turned out I had barley any milk or eggs so I got creative and saw the beer in my fridge and created this:

Cina-Beer French Toast
This recipe makes about 3-4 pieces of French Toast so you may want to double depending on how many you want to feed.
What you'll need:
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup beer (dark flavorful ones work the best)
1 tsp cinnamon
3-4 pieces of your favorite bread- sandwich size
Oil for frying
Optional toppings: real maple syrup, fresh or frozen fruit

How to make it:

1. Heat frying pan on a medium heat with about 2 Tbsp oil
2. In a shallow dish big enough to dip your bread into mix: egg, milk, beer, cinnamon. You will want to mix this very well to get all the ingredients thoroughly distributed, a fork works well.


3. Take a piece of bread and quickly dip it in, flip and transfer right away to the hot frying pan. It is not good to let the toast sit in the egg mixture and longer then it takes for both sides to get wet with the mixture.
4. Fry each side of the bread until it is golden brown.

(this is an the un-fried side)
5. Remove from heat and serve with the optional toppings


Notes:
This is a Kristel original recipe created October 2009.
It is best to eat the toast while it is still hot.
The beer adds a new interesting flavor to this traditional breakfast food. Try experimenting with different types and flavors of beer to see what kind you like best.

No comments: