Saturday, March 27, 2010

Matter Paneer Made Simple



One of my favorite types of foods is Indian food. I think about it and I start to drool. I love it! Indian cooking is one of the types of foods that I have little experience in and have lots to learn. When I saw this recipe made easy I couldn't help but go right out and find my ingredients. First thing is first when you look at the recipe do not be alarmed by the large number of ingredients. They are mostly spices. Give it a try and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Matter Paneer Made Simple
From: Vegetarian times magazine
30 minutes or less













What you'll need:
1 large onion, quartered
1 1/2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. whole brown mustard seeds (I couldn't find these so I used ground mustard seed)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
2 tsp. ground coriander

1 tsp. garam masala (a blend of spices that I find at Hy-vee in the bulk foods section)
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 10-oz. pkg. frozen peas, thawed
3 Tbs. reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 tsp. sugar
1 8-oz. pkg. paneer (this is a type of cheese)



What you'll do:
1. Purée onion in food processor.
2. Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add mustard seeds, cumin, and bay leaf.
Cook 1 minute, or until fragrant.

3. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until browned.



























 Stir in tomato sauce, coriander, garam masala, turmeric, salt, and paprika. Simmer 10 minutes,
or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Add up to 1/2 cup water if sauce is
too thick.



4. Stir in peas, sour cream, and sugar. Simmer 5 minutes, or until peas are heated
through.
5. Fold in paneer, and cook 3 minutes more. Remove bay leaf, and serve hot with
basmati rice or naan bread.













Serves 4














Notes:
*Cut the paneer into small cubes so they become well mixed into the matter.
*If you are feeling up to it try making your own Paneer Cheese, I'd like to do this soon!
*rating 3.75/5

No comments: