Wednesday, March 31, 2010

New recipe: Hummus


Hummus


My go to semi-healthy snack is now hummus and carrot sticks. This spring I am in love with it! I discovered this 'love'  by my cooking project and ever since this first batch I've been experimenting with hummus making. There are many recipes online for it. Today I'll give you the one that is in the Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer, Ethan Becker, Marion Rombauer Becker. I also tried a roasted red bell pepper hummus (you'll see pictures of both with this post).




What you'll need:
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup lemon juice (fresh is best)
3 Tbsp. Tahini (this is a sesame seed paste)
2 Cloves garlic, finely minced
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 Tbsp. Fresh finely chopped parsley
sprinkling of paprika
salt to taste


What you'll do: 
1. Process in chick peas in a blender or food processor
2. Add in lemon juice, tahini, garlic, and a pinch of salt
3. Puree until smooth. You may need to add a few tablespoons of water if it gets to thick
4. Remove from blender and mix in paprika, parsley, and olive oil
5. Serve with warm pita bread or fresh veggies such as carrots, bell peppers, and celery





As this recipe currently stands I rate it  3.75/5 with some improvements yet to come. 

No comments: