Thursday, November 12, 2009

homemade vegetable broth

Buying vegetable broth can get expensive when you cook a lot. A few years ago my husband decided to research and figure out how to make it. It turns out that it is really simple and really inexpensive to do and it tastes so much better then store boughten stuff. A lot of things I've been making latley require broth so I thought it would be a good time to share how to make it.

What you'll need:
A large ziplock bag of vegetable parts such as carrot peels, potatoe, peels, onion skins, pepper tops, etc
           -note I often gather my veggies in a Ziploc and freeze them until I have enough or need to make broth














Water
Something to strain the broth with when you are done such as cheese cloth

What to do:
1. You'll have to gage the amount of water verious how much vegetable "parts" you have. I reccommend 3 cups of vegetables to about 8 cups of water

2. Heat your water and vegetable parts on the stove until you reach just below a boil.


3. Let the vetables and water soak at just under a boil for about an hour or until broth starts to change to a carmel color and vegetables lose most of their color


4. Store broth in the refridgerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer 6-7 months


(sorry this doesn't look very appetizing I am trying to show more the color you are going for, it tastes good in things promise!)
notes:
storage you will want to very based on how you use the broth. I typically store in a cleaned out 1/2 gallon milk container or in 1-2 cup portions in ziplock bags.

No comments: