Saturday, November 14, 2009

Chocolate angel food cake made simple

Growing up my birthday cake was always angel food cake. One year when I was about 10 I wanted it to be chocolate so I found a recipe and learned how to make it from scratch. Eventually I took that cake to the county fair, and won a purple ribbon plus the change to take it to the state fair. At the state fair I got a blue ribbon. Yum! Its a lot of work to make an angel food cake from scratch so after that I searched for a faster way to get that chocolate taste. After much experimenting with cake brands and cocoa powder brands I came upon the correct solution. I am not a "brand loyalty" person for many things, however, for this cake you must use these brands to get it to work correctly and taste great!

What you'll need:
1 box Betty Crocker white angel food cake mix
1/2 cup Hershey's cocoa powder
water (as directed on box)



What to do:
1. Mix cake mix with water according to package directions. (hint start with a little water and little mix and work your way up to all of it being added this will give you maximum cake "lift")


2. Add in 1/2 cup cocoa powder. Mix your cake until it holds a stiff peak (this is hard to get with box kinds, do your best so that if you lift a bit of the batter up it makes a "mountain")

3. Pour into un-greased angel food cake pan. "cut" through with a knife to ensure no air bubbles. Tape lighly on the counter to make the top even.


4. Bake according to package directions.

No comments: